Session 006

01[21:12:57] <~nativejovian> Welcome to another session of Spelljammer! Last time, our heroes had arrived at their home away from home and returned to the Whiteangel with their newly captured space dinghy. Pakeliku gave them a quick tour of the place, and they met Muloke, the Whiteangel’s chief engineer. Then they went to friggen bed, because it’d been a long day, alright? Shaddap and let me sleep.
01[21:14:21] <~nativejovian> Some indeterminate amount of time later (space makes it hard to tell what time of day it is), the party is awoken by a crewman. Apparently it’s been at least long enough for you to get your spells and whatnot back, so that’s good news.
02[21:14:26] * Guri sleeps the sleep of the tired and inebriated, which is similar to but not the same as the sleep of the virtuous.
[21:15:04] <guri> Right, right. Is the rum gone? If not, then whatever you’ve woke us for can’t be that big of a crisis.
01[21:15:21] <~nativejovian> Party! You’re lying around in the hammocks that the crew rigged up for you to sleep in, still in the cargo hold area. But now your space dinghy is there with you. Did they move that in while you were asleep? Man, you guys must’ve really been out of it.
01[21:16:33] <~nativejovian> [Crewman] I’m fairly certain that we do still have some rum in the stores, sir. Whether we have any lashes I’m not certain. The sodomy you’ll have to find on your own.
02[21:16:40] * Guri grumbles into wakefullness and looks around for 1) something to clean his mouth out and 2) pants
01[21:18:43] <~nativejovian> [Crewman] The captain wants to see you three as soon as you’re available. It’s not urgent, so you have time to find your pants first.
[21:20:04] <guri> Oh, and I was hoping the cap’n was a pants-optional person.
01[21:21:35] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] You can probably wear your froofy wizard robes if you want, instead.
02[21:21:59] * Guri gets dressed in something presentable enough to be seen by the captain and waits for the others to put clothes on, since they’ll never be decent.
02[21:23:18] * Konani is still pondering the pantless option.
01[21:23:30] <~nativejovian> Roach rolls out of his hammock and makes himself ready to head out, as well.
02[21:24:45] * Konani gives into the inevitability of being outvoted and dons some pants.
01[21:25:15] <~nativejovian> Party heads to the bridge to meet with the captain, as requested?
02[21:25:25] * Guri so heads
02[21:28:30] * Konani does as well, though still muttering about squandered potential.
01[21:29:45] <~nativejovian> The party arrives on the bridge momentarily. It seems like they’re the last to arrive — Captain Mulue and XO Nakale are already there, as is the B-Team. Also on the bridge is a tall, blonde man you haven’t seen before, standing at the ship’s wheel and paying no attention to the rest of the gathering.
01[21:29:46] <~nativejovian> Looking out the bridge windows, you can see that the Whiteangel has apparently launched and travelled into open space while you were asleep.
02[21:31:48] * Guri rushes to the window and peers out with a big, stupid grin on his face
[21:31:59] <guri> We’re in SPAAAAAACE!
[21:32:49] <konani> Spreading the Gospel of the Lavishly Ludicrous to a thousand worlds!
[21:33:02] <konani> And usually by beating on silly Gleeks, at current rate.
[21:33:07] <konani> A win-win!
[21:33:43] <guri> Can’t reason now, there’s emptiness to stare into!
01[21:34:05] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] You guys have been in space for like two days now, what’s the big deal?
[21:34:50] <konani> Yes, but we weren’t sober enough to appreciate it.
[21:36:02] <guri> Pretty much!
[21:36:35] <guri> And since we must be waiting on yet more people to arrive, who are annoyingly fashionably late, might as well take the time to enjoy the view!
[21:36:45] <guri> Also, does anyone know where we’re headed?
[21:37:30] <konani> To infinity. Or perhaps even beyond!
[21:38:38] <guri> Sounds like a good name for a beer. Beyond Infinity. I wonder what it should taste like…
01[21:40:10] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Actually, if you’re done taking in the view, we’re about ready to start.
[21:40:11] <konani> If it’s true to its name, its taste will forever be a secret, as it defies mathematical reality as we know it.
[21:41:06] <guri> …whatever. The A-Team, all present, Captain, sir!
02[21:41:14] * Guri salutes. Ish.
[21:43:39] <konani> Perhaps not presentable, but certainly present, indeed.
[21:44:05] <guri> It would be a very long wait to try to make Roach presentable.
[21:44:27] <konani> Just have to properly incentivize it.
01[21:46:23] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] As you’ve so astutely noticed, we’ve completed the inspection and repair of the Whiteangel and launched the ship. At the moment, we’re simply sailing away from Kaonakala, so as to avoid being where the enemy expects us to be.
[21:47:17] <konani> Oooh. We have enemies now? I thought the only folks out there we knew about were the Gleeks. And they’re too incompetent to be a threat to anyone but themselves.
[21:48:40] <guri> At least we’re not pussyfooting it by saying they’re merely “adversaries”. If you’re afraid of offending your enemies by calling them “enemies” then you’ve got bigger problems. Which, clearly, we don’t. Hurrah.
01[21:48:41] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] We’ve spent the intervening time speaking with the prisoners we managed to take. They’ve informed us that, despite the loss of one enemy ship, there’s at least one more in the local space around Mokupoe. Indeed, they’re almost universally in agreement than the crew of the ship that rammed us transferred to the second ship before kamikazing it.
[21:49:16] <guri> Well, hopefully they’re just as well-trained as the folks we’ve already fought.
[21:51:21] <konani> Right. So we’re just going to hang out and wait for their ship to catch fire on its own, then? Because, you know, Gleeks.
01[21:54:25] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] The question of what to do next is why we’re here. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to full load the Whiteangel before taking off. We’re well-off for supplies, but the crewmen we have aboard are barely sufficient to keep the ship running, and we have no regular marine contingent.
01[21:54:54] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] That makes the eight of you our only real resources in terms of offensive or defensive action.
[21:55:07] <guri> Fly around the station and send the dinghy back and forth to collect the rest of the crew?
[21:55:31] <konani> Stop that, Guri. That’s dangerously close to being a good idea.
[21:56:08] <guri> It happens when I’m sober. People tell me it’s not a good trait to have, so I drink to drown it.
01[21:56:08] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Unfortunately, according to the prisoners, their ships regularly travel with a heavy compliment of marines. Apparently the preferred method of combat among spelljamming vessels is boarding action.
[21:57:08] <guri> So…you want the eight of us to board them, then?
[21:57:20] <konani> So we’re bait to lure them out so the Arkhorse’s main battery can cut their mothership to ribbons? THis just keeps getting better!
[21:57:53] <guri> Is that the warship version of assault and battery?
[21:58:09] <konani> With a lot more explosions.
01[21:58:18] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Returning to Kaonakala is an option. If we succeed, then we’d be able to board the rest of our crew, and possibly recieve reinforcements from Mokupoe, since we were able to keep the enemy from severing the Lanikaula.
[21:58:47] <guri> Hell, yes, we were.
02[21:58:56] * Guri tries to ‘high five’ Konani
02[21:59:15] * Konani hops on the High-Five Express!
[22:00:06] <konani> Going back is drearily predictable, but the Gleeks do seem to excel at that sort of thing, so they’d invariably have some sort of trap arranged that will invariably blow-up in their face.
01[22:00:09] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] The risk there is that we’ll be caught and boarded before we reach Kaonakala. If there’s more than one ship — the prisoners aren’t sure whether the reinforcements summoned by their surviving forces would have had time to arrive yet — then they’ll be able to cut us off and probably run us down regardless of our course.
[22:02:18] <guri> Then they’d have us exactly where we’d want them, and could fire in any direction.
[22:02:33] <konani> Exactly!
[22:03:05] <konani> As said, the Gleeks are drearily predictable. They’ll think they’re gaining the upper hand when, in fact, they’re just making it that much easier for us to kick their asses.
01[22:03:56] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Unfortunately, this ship has no weaponry. It was designed half as a way to field test our aether engines and half as an exploration vessel. Neither of those roles called for armament.
[22:04:30] <guri> You’re the captain, cap’n, so we’ll board whatever. Even though I’m pretty sure my contract said I was here to brew and slash or distill and slash or ferment.
01[22:05:11] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] The good news is that, according to the prisoners, it’s rare for their ships to be armed in the way we think of it, as well. As I said, they generally prefer boarding actions. That way, a victory doesn’t just harm their enemy, it benefits them as well.
[22:05:17] <konani> …of course an exploration vessel needs weapons. Honestly, it’s a given that there are pirates in space. Because is there anything more awesome than space pirates? Likely not! So there totally are. And that’s why you need guns.
02[22:06:48] * Konani shakes his head at how little thought has gone into the practical aspects of spelljamming.
01[22:06:52] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] So. Option one: return to Kaonakala, and run the risk of being boarded in the hope that we’ll be able to resupply before they reach us.
[22:08:10] <guri> Wait, are you saying we, the beaters-in-of-heads, get a say in what goes on?
[22:08:41] <guri> Let’s do option one.
01[22:08:52] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Option two: we attack the enemy ship ourselves. We’ve acquired a small sailing craft and a considerable amount of explosive. We could use these in an attempt to destroy the enemy vessel. The risk with that plan is that they would almost certainly board their own small craft with marines and counterattack.
[22:09:30] <guri> Option one-point-five; do option one and ready option two for if we don’t make it back before getting attacked.
[22:10:37] <konani> Door #1 gives us the benefit of getting the Gleeks to come to us and do it on favorable terrain. Not that we probably need it, as the Gleeks are rather combustible.
01[22:10:51] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] The additional risk with that idea is that we would undoubtedly be escalating the conflict. Our prisoners have revealed that this entire incident may, in fact, be a case of mistaken identity. They appear to believe — or have believed when they launched their attack, anyway — that we were an outpost of an enemy they’re at war with, rather than a local group. We can’t be sure that attacking them would ruin any chance at making peaceful contact in the future… but we can’t be sure that it wouldn’t, either.
[22:11:22] <guri> Still sounds like option one-point-five.
[22:12:52] <konani> I’m fairly certain the Gleeks aren’t big into “peaceful contact”.
01[22:13:23] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Option three: we lead them on a merry chase. It appears that we may actually be able to outrun them, given their reliance on sail power rather than our own aether engines. However, their ships are also much lighter than ours, so it’s uncertain. Either way, they appear to be primarily interested in the Whiteangel itself, so if we lead, they’ll probably follow.
[22:13:26] <konani> As, if they were, they’d’ve done a more thorough investigation into us before jumping straight to “try to kill everyone in their orbital settlement”.
[22:13:31] <guri> They were in our bar. If that didn’t convince them that we weren’t their enemy, I don’t know what would.
[22:16:08] <konani> Quite.
01[22:16:29] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] We left enough crewmen on Kaonakala that they’ll be able to warn Mokupoe of what happened and give them time to prepare for… well, for whatever happens next. We appear to have a technological advantage, an overwhelming one. But if the Whiteangel is captured, that could vanish overnight. Simply leaving, and forcing them to chase us, may be the best thing for Mokupoe as a whole.
01[22:18:56] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] That’s the situation as it stands now and our analysis of our options. The reason I’m telling you all this is that, whatever we choose, you all will bear the brunt of the decision. The crew we have aboard will have their hands full simply running the ship.
01[22:19:33] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] And unfortunately, we haven’t had much time to get to know each other. To accurately gauge each other’s strengths and weaknesses. To know what each of us is capable of.
01[22:20:56] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] So, I’m trusting you to know yourselves better than I could know you at this early date. Each option relies heavily on you. To defend us in case of boarding. To reach their ship in case of attack. To deal with whatever threats we might encounter outside Mokupoespace should we decide to leave.
[22:21:21] <konani> Simply running means the crew’s going to run itself ragged until we pick-up an eclectic supplemental band of technically proficient souls through our wacky adventures. If we’re really concerned about the risks of the ship being captured, there’s a greater chance of it happening because the crew’s run ragged from double-shifts while we’re still gaining that supplemental crew than turning…
[22:21:22] <konani> …around now.
01[22:23:20] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] The ship won’t be captured. I’ll destroy it before I allow it to fall into enemy hands. Personally, if necessary. The question is how to best avoid that necessity.
[22:23:28] <guri> If we can outrun them, then we should ram them so fast they don’t have a chance to board us, and rely on our thick hull to protect us from their flimsy ones. Or at least ram their rigging to knock them out of the fight.
01[22:25:12] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] That may be a viable tactic regardless of which option we choose to persue. Unfortunately, we don’t know how maneuverable their vessels are compared to ours, and we won’t be able to find out until it’s too late to back out of that plan. It’s something that we’ll try if we have to, but I’m not willing to risk the ship on it if other options are still available.
[22:26:55] <konani> Still say turning around remains our best option. We need a full complement and our doing what they expect us to do will generate opportunity, as the Gleeks are drearily predictable and arrogant enough to think we don’t know that yet.
[22:27:33] <guri> That’s why I say Option One, with the option to do Option Two if they’re silly enough to attack us.
[22:27:46] <konani> Quite.
01[22:30:40] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] That’s not bad reasoning. But I want you to understand, even if we return to Kaonakala, it’s unlikely that we’ll be able to remain there long enough to wait for significant reinforcements from Mokupoe. Even with the Lanikaula intact, it wasn’t designed for the bulk movement of troops. Each trip takes hours and you can only fit so many people per trip.
01[22:31:37] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] And we cannot let ourselves be caught on the ground for the enemy to attack en masse. In space, we have options. We can try to outrun them, we can ram them as you suggested, we can at least try to control the fight. On the ground, we’re little more than a target.
[22:34:22] <konani> Pfft. We’re going to invariably find folks out there who want to come with us, due to our being awesome! We still need our original complement to get us that far.
[22:35:03] <guri> Pretty much.
[22:35:09] <guri> Also, I need more brewing supplies.
01[22:39:12] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Fair enough. Does anyone else object to the idea of returning to Koanakala in order to load whatever additional supplies and crew we can before the enemy reaches us?
01[22:39:21] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Nah, sounds good to me.
01[22:39:27] <~nativejovian> [Nakale] We’ll follow your orders, captain.
01[22:39:46] <~nativejovian> [Kihaka] Hmph.
01[22:39:56] <~nativejovian> [Kahalei] Sure, whatever. Let’s just do it already!
01[22:40:20] <~nativejovian> [Meaula] I still get to fight elves, right? Then fine.
01[22:40:34] <~nativejovian> [Ukumi] For the glory of Mokepoe!
01[22:40:40] <~nativejovian> Mokupoe^
01[22:42:29] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] It sounds like we have a decision, then. Mister Flanagan? Turn this ship around.
01[22:42:44] <~nativejovian> The blonde at the ship’s wheel answers.
01[22:43:09] <~nativejovian> [Flanagan] Aye aye, captain. Setting course for Kaonakala.
[22:45:23] <guri> Great. Now that the weighty matters are over…I need to start brewing something. Can’t do any decent exploring without booze.
03[22:45:32] * Retrieving #valhalla modes…
01[22:46:38] <~nativejovian> He spins the ship’s wheel and you can feel the vague sensation of the ship turning while the stars spin through the window outside. When he straightens out, you can see Mokupoe itself hanging in the sky above you — and a bright dot, presumably Kaonakala, directly ahead.
01[22:49:33] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] That’s all I have for you, ladies and gentlemen. It’ll take another few hours before we reach Kaonakala, so get some rest and be ready for anything in the meantime. We’ll call you if the situation changes.
01[23:04:34] <~nativejovian> And so the party bravely considers their options and opts to run home for reinforcements! And probably fight some elves on the way there. Or on the way back. Or something, anyway. Friggen elves.
01[23:05:46] <~nativejovian> What awaits our brave heroes? Will they make it to Kaonakala safely? Will there even be a Kaonakala to return to? Eh, probably. I mean, it’s a giant space station. What could possibly blow THAT up?
01[23:05:50] <~nativejovian> Session end!

Session 006

Spelljammer Custom NativeJovian NativeJovian