This page is a reference for various spelljamming terms.
- Spelljamming: Travelling through space, either localspace or wildspace.
- Spelljammer: Something capable of spelljamming. Commonly refers to both spelljamming ships and the crew thereof.
- Space: The region above the sky itself, filled with aether rather than air.
- Localspace: Space within a crystal sphere. Specific instances of localspace are referred to using the worlds they contain. For example Mokupoe’s localspace would be called “Mokupoespace”.
- Wildspace: Space between crystal spheres. The aether in wildspace is much denser than in localspace, leading to something that behaves almost like an ocean, complete with aetheric currents and aether storms. The increased amount of aether also makes aetheric engines much more effective, allowing for much higher spelljamming speeds.
- Aether: A fifth element, joining earth, water, air, and fire. Only recently discovered by Mokupoe’s scholars and sages, its properties are still under investigation, but it is theorized that aether is repelled by the four classical elements.
- Aetheric: Relating to the aether. Spelljamming ships are propelled through space by aetheric engines.
- Crystal sphere: An area of space containing one or more worlds. Also refers to the division between localspace and wildspace, which takes the form of a crystalline barrier.
- World: A collection of the four classical elements floating in the aether. Vary widely in size, shape, and composition. A “world” is usually large enough and has a ratio of elements that allows for life. Things that are smaller or skewed toward one element have different names — primarily fire is a sun, primarily air is a cloud, primarily water is a comet, and primarily earth is an asteroid. A small but even mix of elements is called a variety of things: an island, an oasis, a cove, a refuge, etc.