Session 007

01[21:07:21] <~nativejovian> It’s Spelljamming time again, folks! Last time, the adventuring team had a productive chat with the ship’s command crew and the decision was made to return to Kaonakala in an attempt to resupply and reinforce the Whiteangel while you still had the chance. So after fleeing the scene, you turned around and went back.
01[21:08:29] <~nativejovian> Given that you’re basically the only crew on board not performing a task vital to the continuing fuction of the ship at any given momemt, you’ve got a bit of leeway in what to do now. Given that you’ve also got a spelljammer of your own, you’ve got quite a lot of leeway, actually.
01[21:09:03] <~nativejovian> The Whiteangel is on its way back to dock, party. It’ll arrive in a few hours. What do until then?
02[21:09:59] * Konani would’ve thought it obvious. Ensure that the rum isn’t gone! And then try to make sure it is.
01[21:12:14] <~nativejovian> Party is heading back into an unknown but potentially dangerous situation, and their plan is to… get drunk or die trying?
02[21:13:25] * Guri thinks its for the best.
01[21:23:32] <~nativejovian> The party spends their ride back in fine style! Or at least, they try to. Unfortunately, one of the things in short supply due to the Whiteangel’s unexpectedly rapid departure is booze. This is either for the best or a crime that should be punishable by keel-hauling, depending on your perspective.
02[21:23:54] * Guri looks for rope and someone to keel-haul
[21:25:35] <konani> Honestly, we’re going to have to make some changes if this ship is going to survive a rough-and-tumble life as an explorer.
01[21:26:51] <~nativejovian> None the less, the ship arrives as expected, and as near as you can tell, with no major issues. Where is it that you gentlemen are hanging out aboard ship as it lands? Going to be enthusiastic soldiers, up on deck? Or lying around the hanger with your own ship? Or heading up to the bridge to pester the captain with inappropriate questions?
02[21:29:36] * Konani votes for hanging out with the Booby Prize or the bridge.
02[21:30:16] * Guri thinks it’ll be fun to watch from the bridge
02[21:31:06] * Konani will have to think of some inappropriate questions, then!
[21:31:36] <konani> I only have Roach-related inappropriate ones for the Lieutenant off the top of my head, unfortunately.
01[21:33:06] <~nativejovian> Party makes its way to the bridge! As you get there, you find the view to be rather impressive, with Kaonakala hanging hugely in the sky in front of you. The ship is clearly maneuvering to make the transition from free space to Kaonakala’s gravity plane.
01[21:35:56] <~nativejovian> No one seems to pay much attention to you as you enter. Just going to watch as the ship lands, or planning to make a nuisance of yourself?
02[21:36:13] * Guri just likes to watch
02[21:37:37] * Konani would crunch on popcorn if he had any.
01[21:40:30] <~nativejovian> The party stands politely to one side and watches the show as the ship comes in to land! How unexpectedly reasonable of them. The transition between free flight and being tied down to Kaonakala is smooth enough that you wouldn’t have noticed it if you weren’t watching — apparently this Flanagan guy really does know what he’s doing.
02[21:41:59] * Konani does ready the dramaphone for if anything dramatic happens, though.
[21:44:40] <guri> Hurrah.
[21:44:56] <guri> We have landed and now to get the booze situation in hand…
01[21:45:40] <~nativejovian> As the ship gets closer to landing, you notice that there doesn’t seem to be anything going on dockside. No stranded crew milling around, no elvish agents investigating the area, no Mokupoan reinforcements trying to figure out what the hell happened yesterday. Whether this seems suspicious is up to you, but the Whiteangel would have been visible from some distance on approach.
[21:47:12] <konani> We really need to improve our security. Definitely need at least a fence to keep unwanted nuisances out.
[21:47:44] <guri> Why can’t things ever be simple?
01[21:48:24] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] We’re in space. We didn’t have any reason to need security until yesterday.
[21:49:16] <konani> Of course we did! Didn’t anyone ever tell you that the multiverse is filled with spelljamming captains on the prowl for green-skinned alien women to bed?
01[21:50:37] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] doesn’t bother to look up with what she’s doing Not how I roll. Keep your voices down if you’re going to hang out on the bridge, kids.
02[21:52:10] * Konani doesn’t bat an eye at Mulue’s doing her thing. “Honestly! Sometimes it feels like I’m the only person who’s given any thought to the practical aspect of spelljamming. Guess we’d better disembark and spring whatever hamfisted trap the Gleeks will try to spring.”
02[21:53:39] * Konani gestures to his companions. They have adventuring to do!
02[21:53:47] * Guri shrugs. “Let’s go.”
01[21:54:11] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Suits me. I was planning on having you scout the area once we set down anyway. Try not to get yourselves killed.
01[21:57:18] <~nativejovian> The Whiteangel completes its descent and sets down at the docks — or what’s left of them, at least — without anything unexpected happening. Ready to debark, party?
02[21:57:36] * Guri is ready!
02[21:57:38] * Konani is ready!
01[21:59:54] <~nativejovian> Party debarks! You see… about what you saw from the bridge. Which is to say, a whole lotta nuthin’. You may make any skill checks you feel appropriate, or head anywhere on Kaonakala you wish.
01[22:03:35] <~nativejovian> Party looks around all careful-like! They see nothing out of the ordinary. Except for Roach, who is momentarily startled by something that turns out to be his shadow.
[22:04:30] <guri> All right, were’s the booze? We know the Gleeks have a fondness for it, the bastards.
01[22:05:07] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] …we do?
[22:06:17] <konani> Well, they were observing a bar when we first met them. That implies chronic alcoholism or a sophisticated understanding of anthropology. As they’re Gleeks, it can’t be the latter. Which leaves only the former.
01[22:06:47] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Man, that wasn’t a bar, it was a tavern. What kind of adventurer are you?
01[22:06:52] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] “Bar”, pft.
[22:07:26] <guri> And the first one we captured was drinking, too.
[22:09:04] <konani> The kind of adventurer who knows not to engage in semantic games with those more awesome than him, for starters! And what Guri said. So it’s clear they’re basically really tall dwarves.
01[22:10:10] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Nah, no beards.
[22:10:33] <konani> That just means they’re all really tall dwarven women. Which…yeah, elves, so it makes sense.
02[22:12:07] * Konani tries to remember where the closest bar, tavern, or other comparable boozing establishment is!
01[22:12:09] <~nativejovian> So where you headed, party? Just chatting and looking around, or going somewhere in particular?
01[22:14:28] <~nativejovian> Party heads toward the tavern! When you last left it, things were exploding and shadow agents of an unknown power were plotting to stab people in the back. Literally. Like, with knives.
01[22:14:53] <~nativejovian> Just going to waltz around like you own the place, or at least going to try being somewhat circumspect?
02[22:15:27] * Konani is going to waltz right on it. Given how much the party’s spent there since arriving, they probably should own the place.
01[22:16:21] <~nativejovian> Perception checks, please
01[22:20:43] <~nativejovian> As the party heads out from the docks and towards the town proper, they notice… something. Roach and Konani can’t identify it more precisely than that. Guri has sharp enough ears to pick out the sound of metal clinking gently — like someone (or multiple someones?) armed and armored trying to keep quiet.
02[22:22:40] * Guri rolls his eyes
[22:22:57] <konani> New friends?
[22:23:03] <guri> Let’s go to the treasure warehouse, guys. Follow me!
02[22:23:19] * Guri leads the party, looking for a good place to wait in ambush
01[22:23:27] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Wait, what? We don’t have one of those. And if we did you wouldn’t even know where it was!
02[22:23:47] * Konani whacks Roach upside the head before he says too much.
01[22:24:00] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Ow. Hey!
[22:24:14] <konani> A BRILLIANT IDEA! I could use our a dip in our pool of riches we stole from those stupid knife-ears!
01[22:24:22] <~nativejovian> Perception one more time!
01[22:28:22] <~nativejovian> Guri and Roach notice someone sticking their head around the corner of a nearby building just enough to catch a glimpse of you all. Guri gets a good enough look to recognize a half-orc woman with dark, reddish hair. Roach just notices the figure without recognizing any details. Konani is distracted by how awesome he is and sees nothing.
02[22:28:54] * Konani is very awesome, after all.
[22:29:38] <guri> Very odd, no elves around here. I was really expecting them to be back.
[22:30:42] <konani> Don’t rue too loudly. If they actually were around, we’d have to deal with them. They’re assholes, after all. Who stab first and ask questions never.
01[22:30:47] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Maybe they’re hiding from us because we’re awesome like that.
[22:31:25] <konani> That’d be vaguely intelligent. And…you know, Gleeks.
01[22:33:34] <~nativejovian> You hear a rather put-upon sigh, and the owner of the head you saw (or didn’t) earlier steps out from where she was concealed. Said head is attached to a rather tall and heavily-armored woman, boasting a classic longsword-and-shield, though neither is held at the ready.
01[22:33:51] <~nativejovian> [Redhead] Goddamnit, Roach, how did I know that you were going to be in the middle of all this?
[22:34:28] <konani> Because he’s Roach. Causing trouble and improbably surviving is his specialty.
01[22:35:02] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Hi, Karen! Are you allowed to be up here? I thought you were assigned at the bottom of the Lanikaula.
[22:35:28] <konani> She’s presumably up here because someone saw that things went slightly pear-shaped, what with the Gleeks showing up and being themselves.
01[22:35:29] <~nativejovian> [Karen?] Don’t “hi, Karen” me, you idiot. And I was assigned down there. They sent us up to check things out after everything went to hell yesterday.
[22:35:42] <konani> See? Called it.
01[22:36:11] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Oh. Yeah, that makes sense. Where’s your boss?
01[22:37:01] <~nativejovian> [Karen] In a cell, if I had my way about it. He heard there was actually an enemy to fight and ran off, ranting about the evils of violence or something. Idiot. I’m acting company commander for now.
[22:37:38] <konani> He was right, you know. Space elves! In wooden spelljamming ships!
[22:37:44] <konani> With aether sails!
[22:38:15] <konani> They are, unfortunately, kind of stupid. And are assholes.
01[22:38:48] <~nativejovian> [Karen] …you’re not one of them pacifists, are you? Because I can honestly say that’s the first time I’ve ever heard “he was right” in response to “ranting about the evils of violence”.
[22:39:53] <konani> Meant about an actual enemy to fight, not the evils of violence.
01[22:40:34] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Oh, good. That’ll save me the time of having to beat some sense into you.
[22:40:51] <konani> The best way to impart sense is via beatings!
01[22:41:07] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Anyway, you boys going to tell me what the hell happened up here? We’ve gotten some reports, but none of them make any damn sense.
[22:41:24] <konani> This place got invaded by the Gleeks.
01[22:41:38] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] They’re space elves!
[22:41:38] <konani> Who are space elves, who came here in wooden spelljamming sailing ships.
[22:41:41] <guri> Evil elves. Or, just elves.
01[22:41:59] <~nativejovian> [Karen] …
[22:42:38] <konani> They wanted to kill us all because of a misunderstanding and their inability to understand that you don’t need to kill everyone right out of the box.
[22:42:54] <konani> They also learned several important lessons about the importance of doing proper recon before attempting to kill everyone.
01[22:43:23] <~nativejovian> [Karen] You’re serious, aren’t you.
[22:44:07] <konani> Would you like to talk to the captain of the Arkhorse? She’ll confirm what we’ve just said. And tell you about how the Gleeks tried to destroy the ship by ramming it! And failed miserably at that, too.
[22:44:22] <konani> You could also probably interview some of the Gleeks we captured.
[22:44:37] <konani> We’re up to…what, four? Five?
01[22:44:44] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Yeah, we heard about that. Figured that they’d managed to blow themselves to hell by accident, at least until we saw the ship pulling back in.
01[22:44:55] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Wait, you have prisoners?
[22:44:59] <konani> Of course.
[22:45:05] <konani> What do you think we are, amateurs?
02[22:45:10] * Konani pauses, then looks at Roach.
01[22:45:13] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Do you really want me to answer that question?
[22:45:19] <konani> …that would not be an unfair assumption, yes.
01[22:46:39] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Right then. First order of business is to get those prisoners down the Lanikaula so the eggheads can talk to them. You can fill me in on the way.
[22:47:51] <konani> This way, then! They’re aboard the Arkhorse. I take it the lack of activity at the docks is because you’ve got everyone sequestered and not because of Gleek treachery?
[22:48:39] <guri> Lets hope so!
[22:49:12] <konani> If not, we’ll just have to set more Gleeks on fire. They are, for the record, quite combustible!
01[22:49:14] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Yeah, we saw you coming in and didn’t know what the hell was going on. We’re sure if the ship was about to explode or you’d all gone rogue or what, so we decided to give you some space and see what you’d do.
01[22:49:25] <~nativejovian> Karen gives a shrill whistle and gestures with one hand.
01[22:49:35] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Alright boys, back to the docks! Pronto!
01[22:50:00] <~nativejovian> A handful of soldiers shuffle out of various hiding places and form up around the group, ready to march.
[22:52:20] <konani> Friends! Who actually are friends and don’t want to kill us! A pleasant change of pace.
[22:53:12] <guri> Very much so.
[22:53:23] <guri> Nice to see more competent people around here.
01[22:53:28] <~nativejovian> [Karen] I did say I was acting as company commander, didn’t I?
[22:55:00] <konani> Whose buggered off while ranting.
[22:55:07] <konani> boss.
01[22:55:47] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Yep. But now I get to be in space and he doesn’t. Pretty crazy up here, eh?
[22:57:00] <konani> It’s awesome!
01[22:59:22] <~nativejovian> Party leads Karen to the Whiteangel with some marines in tow. Anything in particular you want to make her aware of, or just giving her a general overview of events?
02[22:59:44] * Konani regales her with their exploits! Including the capture of the Booby Prize.
02[23:00:37] * Konani includes scoring with his ukulele, as well!
01[23:01:20] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Captured an enemy ship? Any way we could fit that on the Lanikaula too? I’m sure they brass would want to see that.
02[23:01:28] * Guri explains his plans for a still and brewery on the Arkhorse
[23:02:56] <konani> Given that it was originally loaded with explosives and parked in the Lanikaula to blow it up, I’d say it’d fit, yes.
01[23:04:41] <~nativejovian> You arrive back at the Whiteangel as you discuss the tactical situation. Presumably you’re going to head up to the bridge?
02[23:04:58] * Konani leads the way to the bridge, indeed!
01[23:07:52] <~nativejovian> This time, you actually generate some interest as you step onto the bridge with Karen.
01[23:08:05] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] I hope you have some good news, gentlemen. Who’s this?
[23:08:49] <guri> It’s your competition for Roach’s affections, Karen.
[23:10:16] <konani> Alternatively, the cavalry.
01[23:11:39] <~nativejovian> [Karen] *salutes
Sergeant Karen Johnson, acting company commander of the marine security detachement at the Lanikaula, sir. We were sent up the wire after yesterday’s… events.
[23:13:02] <konani> You probably saw the giant hole in the side of it on the way up. That was where the Gleeks parked the Booby Prize.
01[23:14:35] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] I see. returns the salute Well, I’ll give you the short version, Sergeant. We’ve been attacked by a spelljamming civilization from outside the local system. Apparently they mistook us for an outpost of another civilization they’re at war with. It’s unclear whether or not the mistake has been corrected.
01[23:15:57] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] In any case, we were forced to launch the ship earlier than planned in order to avoid having it taken by the enemy. We’ve returned in order to gather what supplies and reinforcements we can before launching again. I’ve determined that remaining here poses an unacceptable risk to the Whiteangel and to Mokupoe as a whole.
[23:19:41] <konani> So welcome aboard!
01[23:20:37] <~nativejovian> [Karen] I… Sir, you… Your plan is to take Mokupoe’s most advanced (and expensive) public works project in decades if not centuries, and run away with it?
[23:21:09] <guri> That’s why we came back for supplies; can’t make beer without hops!
[23:21:33] <konani> The Arkhorse is also the most sophisticated spelljammer in Known Space.
01[23:21:45] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] In short? Yes. I’d rather it be destroyed and the whole lot of us killed than let an enemy nation — one which has completely different, and in many ways apparently inferior, spelljamming technology — get its hands on this ship.
01[23:22:56] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] And I’m sure I don’t have to remind you, Sergeant, that I outrank the shit out of you. So you’ll follow orders or you’ll be relieved of command and I’ll find someone who will.
01[23:23:10] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Ooh! I follow orders! Can I be the marine commander?
02[23:23:20] * Konani whacks Roach upside the head.
[23:23:26] <konani> You’re not even awesome enough to lead the A-Team.
[23:23:41] <konani> You’re not allowed anywhere near an actual, formal military hierarchy.
01[23:23:42] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Shut up, Roach. I understand completely, sir. How can I help?
[23:23:58] <guri> What the sergeant said: shut up, Roach.
01[23:24:34] <~nativejovian> Mulue and Karen begin conversing amongst themselves the best way to prepare the Whiteangel for the worst that the universe can throw at it. You’re being ignored again, party.
02[23:26:01] * Guri coughs. “Prisoners to be off-loaded for interrogation?”
[23:27:12] <konani> No respect. No respect at all.
01[23:28:58] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] That’s being taken care of. We’ll have some marines escort them to the Lanikaula. We’re keeping Tanivel aboard the Whiteangel, though. We’ll need someone with some experience with the political situation out there. I imagine I’m going to get heartily tired of casting Charm Person…
[23:30:15] <guri> But you’re such a charming woman!
[23:30:47] <konani> I’m sure he’ll come around eventually. Spending too long with us — and the Gleeks’ continued failure to kill or capture us — will likely put a price on his head.
01[23:35:34] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Actually, they have another spelljamming ship, right? Best use for them right now would probably be as scouts. Our biggest weakness as I see it is that we can’t see what’s happening on the other side of Kaonakala.
[23:37:26] <konani> You want to put my awesome sailing skills to work, you say?
[23:37:52] <guri> Sounds like it.
01[23:38:10] <~nativejovian> [Karen] …I’d forgotten how “fun” it was dealing with adventurers.
01[23:38:14] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] I only wish I could.
01[23:38:41] <~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Yeah, we’re pretty great.
[23:39:56] <konani> I’m not kidding, you know. The Booby Prize basically handles like a seagoing dingy.
[23:40:06] <konani> And I’m a rather competent sailor.
[23:40:22] <konani> Managed to steal it and sail it back without missing a beat, after all.
01[23:41:20] <~nativejovian> [Karen] Space is weird.
[23:41:54] <konani> And awesome!
[23:42:23] <guri> And sadly deficient in alcohol!
[23:42:38] <konani> We’ll just have to find some space hops once we get underway properly.
[23:42:56] <konani> But, yeah, you want us to go do recon? Certainly within our ability to do so.
01[23:43:34] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] We’ll be bringing on additional supplies while we’re docked. Including an alcohol ration, yes.
[23:44:37] <guri> Let’s do this, then!
01[23:47:08] <~nativejovian> [Mulue] Talk to Chief Muloke before you go. You’ll need him to launch your ship, and he’ll have some equipment you’ll need.
02[23:48:26] * Konani heads to talk with Muloke, then! He’s funner to deal with than the ship’s brass, anyway.
02[23:51:39] * Guri goes, too!
01[23:52:41] <~nativejovian> Party has been dismissed from the bridge! They get go talk to the only guy in a command position without a stick up his ass. And it sounds like he has toys for them!
01[23:55:33] <~nativejovian> So there you have it, gentlemen. You’ve got marines, you’re going to get booze, and you’ve been given an easy job. Just sail around and look at stuff! That’s super easy! What could possibly go wrong?
[23:56:00] <guri> The sun could explode, for starters.
01[23:56:27] <~nativejovian> Nothing, that’s what! There’s no way that anything remotely interesting or unusual could happen as soon as you’re sent off on your own. To do vaguely adventrous things. Nope, not a chance.
01[23:56:31] <~nativejovian> Session end!

Session 007

Spelljammer Custom NativeJovian NativeJovian