Session 001

01[23:19:24] <10~nativejovian> Welcome to the world of spelljamming, brave adventurers! Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to sail beyond the final frontier. To explore strange new worlds. To go where no one has gone before!
01[23:20:04] <10~nativejovian> Just kidding. You’ve already accepted it, which technically puts you under military authority. No backing out now, punks.
[23:20:37] <05konani> Wait, what? I was promised the chance to seduce green-skinned alien chicks!
[23:21:12] <05guri> I was promised exotic alcohol!
02[23:21:23] * Guri wants to invent the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster
01[23:22:00] <10~nativejovian> For the moment, you’re riding up the Lanikaula, a wonder of modern artifice! It’s taking you from the surface of Mokupoe to Kaonakala, the city-station built at the top. Which is really cool! You’re actually in space! That mysterious region above even the sky itself!
[23:22:59] <05konani> See? Space booze and space babes. This outfit’s marketing department needs to gets act together. At least we’re getting the “space” part. Kinda empty, though, truth be told.
[23:23:35] <05guri> Things look smaller, too. I thought space would be bigger.
01[23:23:43] <10~nativejovian> Well, it was really cool. It’s kind of lost its charm after the first few hours. Did anyone mention how long it takes to get from Mokupoe to Koanakala? Because it’s actually a pretty long time. Which is why logistics are one of the spelljamming project’s main problems.
[23:24:52] <05konani> Well, things get smaller as you approach the horizon, the same as down on Mokupoe. …though that becomes problematic when the horizon ceases to exist.
01[23:25:25] <10~nativejovian> It’s also why you’re finally getting up to Kaonakala, just days before the scheduled departure date of the first major spelljamming expedition! Apparently things like “vital supplies” and “critical artifice components” have priority over “low-ranked replaceable crewmembers”. Bah.
01[23:27:38] <10~nativejovian> So you make yourselves as comfortable as possible as you ride up among the various crates of junk tarp-covered thingamabobs. You’re actually the only passengers on this particular trip. They managed to squeeze you in when a supply shipment had some extra room. Aren’t you lucky?
02[23:28:01] * Guri looks at supplies.
01[23:28:04] <10~nativejovian> crates of junk and tarp-covered thingamabobs^
[23:28:29] <05guri> Hey, I can’t brew crap with this junk. Well. Crap usually isn’t brewed, but it’d be tough to make anything drinkable out of this stuff.
[23:28:54] <05guri> I don’t know how we’re going to keep the bar stocked so the bartendress can give out mysterious advice.
[23:29:21] <05konani> A pity. Brewed things usually are a very good cure fore boredom. Such as the one I’ve got. As I am B-O-R-E-D.
01[23:31:45] <10~nativejovian> At long last, however, you finally reach the top! You feel yourselves gradually slowing, finally coming to a halt with a gentle bump. Almost immediately, you hear workers outside unlatching and opening the enormous cargo doors on one side of the room. You’re here!
03[23:33:07] * Retrieving #Valhalla modes…
[23:33:15] <05guri> We’ve arrived? Who wants to find the bar with me?
02[23:33:23] * Konani raises his hand fervently.
01[23:33:51] <10~nativejovian> The longshoremen (longspacemen?) busily begin unloading cargo. The faster they get it out of the Lanikaula, the faster they can get another shipment sent up. They ignore you entirely except to direct you out of their goddamn way, you lazy mugs.
01[23:37:01] <10~nativejovian> After exiting the Lanikaula compartment, you find yourself… in a harbor not unlike anything you’d see in a busy Mokupoe port, actually. Workers bustle around urgently, carrying boxes and driving carts between the arrival station and various warehouses lining the area, supervisors direct the operation in loud voices.
[23:38:00] <05konani> Longshoremen in seaside towns seem to be the same everywhere, even when there is no longer a shore or sea for many, many miles.
[23:38:27] <05konani> That was almost waxing philosophical. Definitely need to get drunk quicker now.
01[23:38:42] <10~nativejovian> Oh, there is one difference. The sky is pitch black, darker than the darkest night you’ve ever seen, which makes the stars even more brilliant by contrast. Of course, you saw that from the Lanikaula. What’s new is that if you look straight up, following the line of the Lanikaula disappearing off into the distance, you can see blue sphere streaked with white hovering above you.
01[23:38:54] <10~nativejovian> You were warned about this! That’s Mokupoe. Try not to get vertigo.
02[23:39:43] * Guri stumbles
[23:39:49] <05guri> Damn, that’s something else.
[23:39:59] <05guri> A man needs a drink after a sight like that.
[23:40:10] <05guri> Spaceshoremen! Where’s the beer?
01[23:40:19] <10~nativejovian> [Bystander] Heh. Yeah, it’s something else, isn’t it?
01[23:41:02] <10~nativejovian> There’s a redheaded young human man talking to you, party! He’s dressed as a soldier, a sword and shield slung across his back.
[23:41:05] <05konani> Depends upon your definition of “something else”, probably. I’d it’s more of a primary something.
01[23:42:36] <10~nativejovian> [Bystander] You’re the new recruits, right? There’s not supposed to be anyone else on this load. They sent me to pick you up when you got here.
[23:43:23] <05konani> Oh, so we’re actually being treated like people now? We’re moving up in the world if we’re getting bumped from cargo to steerage!
[23:43:25] <05guri> You don’t look strong enough to pick us both up at once.
[23:43:50] <05guri> So while you pick him up and take him whereever you’re going, point me towards the bar, thanks.
01[23:44:32] <10~nativejovian> [Bystander] Haha, you’d be surprised! I’m pretty strong. Name’s Pakeliku Kolahaolu. You might’ve heard of me — Kolahaoulu the Indestructable, they call me.
[23:44:57] <05guri> Did you invent Indestructable Ale?
01[23:45:25] <10~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] I - what? No, I’m a swordsman, not a brewer.
[23:45:34] <05guri> Then I’ve never heard of you, no.
01[23:46:16] <10~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Well, you have now! Ha! I’m Kolahaolu the Indestructable!
[23:46:35] <05konani> One of the guys on the ship I hitched a ride on to the base of the Lanikaula mentioned having spent some time with a swordsman named Kolahaulu.
01[23:46:45] <10~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Oh, I’m also in your squad. Nice you meet you both!
[23:46:45] <05guri> Good for you. I’m Guri, but you can call me Guriseren.
01[23:47:32] <10~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] Oh, he did? Very nice! What was his name? Maybe I remember him.
[23:48:44] <05konani> Didn’t catch it, I’m afraid. He just said this Kolahaolu guy got his ass kicked so much and so hard that they started calling him Roach, as one of the ass-kickings should’ve done him in.
[23:49:21] <05guri> Oh, I remember that.
01[23:49:57] <10~nativejovian> [Pakeliku] H-haha! Yeah, some people call me that, I guess. But my proper appellation is Kolahaolu the Indestructable!
[23:50:49] <05konani> Right! Roach it is. A pleasure. Konani, myself, and this is Guri. But he already said that. Now that everyone’s on a first-name basis, let’s go get shitfaced.
01[23:51:35] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Well, ship’s launching tomorrow, so you probably shouldn’t get too sloshed. But I’ll take you to the tavern and get you introduced around!
[23:52:31] <05guri> To the drinks!
[23:52:40] <05konani> Look, we’re going to be on a ship. Which means there’s going to be a rum ration. So somebody will, as an inevitable result, always be sloshed.
[23:52:58] <05konani> Onward to the alcohol! I’ve got three days in a cargo hold to drink away.
01[23:54:02] <10~nativejovian> Roach leads you away from the loading docks! Except for the whole “being in space” thing, Kaonakala is a lot like most small port towns you’ve been in. That’s a pretty big “except”, though.
01[23:54:43] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Oh! You can see the ship from here. Look!
02[23:55:00] * Guri will get over the differences faster with a Blood Alcohol Level over 0.0
02[23:55:13] * Guri looks! Is the East glowing red?
01[23:57:42] <10~nativejovian> Roach points. Off in the middle distance is a large and frankly bizarre looking ship. In the stern, it’s built high up, seemingly enclosed from top to bottom. You can just make out a large ship’s wheel through the glass enclosing the highest room. The bow is even stranger, however; it’s split in two identical “legs”, with empty space between them. And the whole thing is painted an eye-searing white.
[23:58:12] <05guri> Well. That looks silly.
02[23:58:13] * Konani cares nary a wit about the “except”, as he’s been in a lot of small port towns. Though the ship is worth at least a cocked eyebrow.
[23:59:08] <05konani> The bow looks like a forked-tongue. So, does the SS Serpent’s Head have a proper name or will we just have to keep improvising?
[23:59:27] <05guri> We can’t call it the Hydra, they have more heads.
01[23:59:28] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] There she is. The Whiteangel! Mokupoe’s first proper spelljammer! Enough space to take a crew of hundreds and keep them supplied for months! An aetheric engine to sail her through space itself! A marvel of modern artifice!
[23:59:31] <05guri> What only has two?
[23:59:57] <05konani> Ettins?
Session Time: Sun Aug 30 00:00:00 2015
01[00:00:05] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] It’s already got a name! She’s the Whiteangel! The
- they’re wings, I guess? That kinda works.
[00:00:09] <05guri> Whiteangel? I’d rather call it the Arkhorse.
01[00:00:20] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Horses don’t have wings, though.
[00:00:31] <05konani> Pegasi do.
01[00:00:38] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] But pegasi aren’t horses!
[00:00:53] <05konani> They’re very equine-like!
[00:01:04] <05konani> Hippogriffs too, though they’re less equine than pegasi.
[00:01:24] <05guri> We could call it the Kin-rin; they’re horse-esque and fly.
[00:01:29] <05guri> But I’ll go with Arkhorse.
01[00:01:47] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Too bad, she’s the Whiteangel! You can’t go renaming a ship. It’s bad luck!
01[00:02:00] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Anyway, I thought you wanted a drink?
[00:02:19] <05guri> You’re not very smart, then.
[00:02:23] <05guri> We want ALL the drinks.
[00:02:30] <05konani> Pfft. We make our own luck! So let’s get some booze and hoist them to the Arkhorse!
01[00:03:33] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] You can name our boat the Arkhorse! Sheesh, it’s like you guys have never served on a ship before.
01[00:03:52] <10~nativejovian> Roach continues to lead the way to the promised tavern, muttering about unlucky rookies.
[00:04:34] <05konani> I’ve served on — and been thrown overboard from — a dozen ships, thank-you-very-much.
[00:06:22] <05guri> Never been aboard one yet, and I intend to run away from everything except people who insult my alcohol.
01[00:07:16] <10~nativejovian> Eventually you approach a good-sized building. It’s of sturdy-looking lumber construction, much like basically everything else you’ve seen so far. But this one has a sign that says “TAVERN” in a variety of languages! Not very clever naming, but it does get the job done.
[00:09:13] <05guri> I hope their drinks are more cleverly named than the establishment.
[00:09:31] <05guri> Nama biru, kudasai!
01[00:09:46] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] There’s just the one tavern on Kaonakala, so I guess they never bothered giving it a proper name. Besides, who cares what a drink is named?
[00:10:12] <05konani> Weirdos like Guri here.
02[00:10:35] * Konani is just looking for regular ol’ nameless booze, so he enters without hesitation!
[00:11:20] <05guri> Look, a beer’s taste is most important, but no one is going to try it if it’s named “horse piss”.
01[00:11:29] <10~nativejovian> Konani is hit with a blast of warm air and bright light as he opens the door! It makes for a pleasant change from the black sky and chilly air out on the street.
02[00:12:19] * Guri enters, too! Warmth is useful.
01[00:12:45] <10~nativejovian> Roach ushers you both inside and calls out to the various occupants relaxing inside.
01[00:13:50] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Hey everyone! I brought the new recruits, fresh from the Lanikaula. This is Konani and Guriseren. Say hi, guys!
[00:14:30] <05konani> “Say hi, guys”.
[00:14:37] <05konani> Say.
02[00:14:39] * Guri casts prestidigitation to make Roach’s hair appear to be smoldering
[00:15:07] <05guri> Greetings and salutations, illustrious fellow-travellers from Mokupoe’s fair waters.
[00:15:20] <05guri> Now, where’s the fucking booze?
01[00:17:04] <10~nativejovian> The crowd in the tavern is a diverse lot, featuring virtually every race and occupation you could think of. Which makes sense, if this really the only bar on Kaonakala. The crowd is dressed in everything from rough laborers clothes to sharp officers uniforms. They give you a warm, if not entirely enthusiastic, cheer at Roach’s announcement. Some of them chuckle at Roach’s head smoking.
01[00:19:14] <10~nativejovian> Most of them turn back to their various drinks and conversations after the initial greeting, but one group pounds on their table to get your attention and waves you over.
02[00:19:36] * Guri waves at the pounders but wants a drink, not a seat.
01[00:20:24] <10~nativejovian> The bar itself is along one wall of the room. You can stop for a drink on your way to their table, if you want.
02[00:20:29] * Konani takes a gander at just who wants their attention.
02[00:20:46] * Guri gets a drink!
[00:21:02] <05guri> Whoever they are, they’ll look better if we have drinks.
[00:21:55] <05konani> You make a very good point.
02[00:21:59] * Konani gets a drink as well!
01[00:22:13] <10~nativejovian> It’s a group of four -
an elf, a halfling, a dwarf, and a human. They’re taking up about half the table they’re sitting at. Roach is already heading in that direction, heedless of his smouldering hair.
02[00:23:01] * Guri gets drink, starting with the basic stuff, and waits for Konani to get his before heading to the table
02[00:23:57] * Konani gets his flagon of whatever rot-gut they’re presumably serving, and then joins Guri in tagging along after Roach.
02[00:25:20] * Guri walks up to the table.
[00:25:55] <05guri> So, a human, an elf, a halfling, a dwarf, and a guy with his hair on fire were sitting in a bar…
[00:26:51] <05konani> I’ve heard this one. It usually ends in a way involving Nakuamakua’s erupting tits.
01[00:26:59] <10~nativejovian> They make room for you at the table as you approach. The human is a pale young man with dark hair, the elf swarthy and quite muscular, the dwarf brown-skinned with black hair and a neat goatee, and the halfling is a blonde woman that’s the tallest halfling you’ve ever seen, almost the size of a short human.
[00:27:44] <05guri> Yeah, Konani, that’s about where it was going.
[00:28:09] <05konani> So this is going to be a fun conversation.
01[00:28:19] <10~nativejovian> The halfling and the human laugh at the joke, and the elf cracks a smile. The dwarf you can’t tell if he’s unamused or just being a dwarf.
[00:28:23] <05guri> Hello, my name is Guri, and I’m a brewer.
01[00:28:30] <10~nativejovian> Roach just looks confused.
[00:29:41] <05konani> When we get back down to Mokupoe, I’ll take you to one of Nakuamakua’s temples, Roach. That’ll sort it all out for you.
02[00:30:09] * Guri chuckles
01[00:30:18] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Guys, like I said, this is Guriseren and Konani. They’re rounding out our squad. Guri and Konani, this is the B-Team.
01[00:31:28] <10~nativejovian> Roach introduces them. The elf is Kihaka, druid. The halfling is Kahalei Iula, rogue. The dwarf is Ukumi Nara, sorcerer. And the human is Meaula Ahuka, barbarian.
[00:31:34] <05guri> First, we need a patch to give us a good team feeling. Then, we need our own line of alcoholic beverages. I’ll take care of the latter if you guys handle the former.
01[00:32:14] <10~nativejovian> [Kahalei] I thought I told you to stop calling us “B-Team”, Roach.
01[00:33:07] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Why? My team has seniority! I was already military when they sent me here.
[00:33:27] <05guri> You’re senior? Well, that means you’re too old to work, right?
01[00:33:30] <10~nativejovian> [Kahalei] You only have seniority because you’re bad at dying!
[00:33:50] <05konani> She’s got a very good point.
01[00:34:04] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] I am Kolahaolu the Indestructable! That’s why I’m senior!
01[00:34:30] <10~nativejovian> Kahalei just shakes her head. This all has the feel of a familiar argument.
[00:34:44] <05konani> Also: The seniority is a very silly way to establish hierarchy. Nakuamakua teaches us that ass-kicking equals authority! Which means you’re never going to lead anything, Roach.
01[00:35:17] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] W-why would you even say that? You just met me! You’ve never even see me fight!
[00:35:21] <05guri> I’ll drink to that, Konani!
[00:35:51] <05guri> Don’t worry, Roach, I’m sure there’s a donkey you can practice ass-kicking on somewhere around here.
[00:35:58] <05konani> I have it on very good authority you’re constantly getting your ass kicked. Right, Kalahei?
01[00:36:49] <10~nativejovian> [Kahalei] Kahalei. But yeah, he is. It’d be impressive if it wasn’t pathetic.
[00:37:15] <05guri> So his team gets used as diversions a lot, then?
[00:37:29] <05konani> Potato, potatoe. Or Konani, Konami, in my experience.
[00:38:18] <05guri> Don’t worry, Kona-kona, we won’t make that mistake.
01[00:38:29] <10~nativejovian> Kihaka, the elf, speaks up. [Kihaka] He hasn’t had a team until now. Mostly he’s just been trying to keep busy. All any of us are doing, really.
01[00:39:25] <10~nativejovian> Perception checks.
01[00:41:18] <10~nativejovian> Both of you notice a small group at another table that seems to be listening to your conversation. Oddly for the diverse crowd, it’s composed entirely of elves.
01[00:44:35] <10~nativejovian> No one else at your table pays them any mind
02[00:45:03] * Konani lowers his voice a bit. “Anyone else a little bit concerned about our ever-so-observant friends over yonder?”
01[00:47:43] <10~nativejovian> Roach turns to look at who you’re talking about, the smoke wafting unnoticed about his head as he does so. [Roach] The elf table? What about them?
02[00:47:59] * Guri keeps his voice low, too. They seem quite interested in the Badass Team here.
[00:49:03] <05konani> Ever seen any kit quite like that before? Or heard an accent like that, for that matter? I’ve been from one corner to Mokupoe to the other and haven’t.
01[00:49:23] <10~nativejovian> Roach shrugs. [Roach] I barely notice that sort of thing anymore. You get used to it when you’re Kolahaolu the Inde— blegh!
01[00:49:33] <10~nativejovian> Kahalei has spilled some beer on Roach. [Kahalei] Sorry.
[00:50:11] <05guri> I hope that doesn’t happen often, Roach.
[00:50:37] <05guri> If you spill my brew on a regular basis, I get angry enough to set people’s hair on fire.
01[00:51:06] <10~nativejovian> Kihaka glances sideways at the group. [Kihaka] Now that you mention it… I don’t recognize them. I thought I knew everyone who came here.
[00:52:01] <05guri> Have we had ships from elsewhere dock here yet?
01[00:52:54] <10~nativejovian> The human, Meaula, shakes his head. [Meaula] Where else would they come from? This is the only place where spelljamming research is going on.
[00:53:16] <05konani> I think he means from beyond…here. A spelljammer from another wolrd.
[00:53:32] <05konani> It’d certainly explain why no one recognizes them or their kit, at least.
01[00:54:07] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Yeah, everyone comes up the Lanikaula. We don’t even have anything ships that can land on the surface, yet.
01[00:55:06] <10~nativejovian> Ukumi, the dwarf, speaks up. [Ukumi] Another world? You mean one of the outer planes? They don’t look like Outsiders to me.
[00:55:38] <05guri> Okay, I know the idea was out there… shrug&
[00:56:23] <05konani> Polymorphing is a thing, you know.
02[00:57:02] * Konani fires up Ye Olde Detecte Magice to see if the elves are pinging of anything that’d be a giveaway that they’re extraplanar bastards.
01[00:57:58] <10~nativejovian> Konani sees nothing out of the ordinary for a group of low-level adventurous types.
01[00:58:26] <10~nativejovian> The conversation is cut short by a sudden, distant boom. By the sound of it, it was some distance away, but the noise is loud enough to shake the foundations of the building and cut off all conversation.
[00:58:45] <05konani> Well, they’re not baatezu in disguise. That’s a plus.
01[00:59:04] <10~nativejovian> After a moment’s pause as the sound fades away, patrons begin bolting for the door. Not in panic, but to see what the hell is going on.
02[00:59:28] * Guri joins the press, but snags a second unattended drink along the way
02[00:59:56] * Konani will be most disappointed if it was his drink, as he’s joining too.
01[01:01:04] <10~nativejovian> As you rapidly file out into the street, which is rapidly filling with onlookers, you notice a billowing column of smoke rising into the sky.
01[01:01:07] <10~nativejovian> Perception checks
01[01:04:40] <10~nativejovian> Roach is looking in the entirely wrong direction, perhaps confused by the smoke still curling up from his head. The rest of you realize that the smoke is coming from back in the direction of the dock Roach pointed out to you earlier.
02[01:05:42] * Guri nudges Konani. “The elf group is surprisingly at the back of the crowd. And looking…like this doesn’t surprise them.”
[01:06:26] <05konani> Not surprising. But hey, if they’re burning down our ship, we can rename, right?
[01:06:49] <05guri> Sounds reasonable to me!
[01:07:26] <05konani> Right. Shall we go have a chat with our friends, then?
01[01:07:37] <10~nativejovian> The crowd rumbles uncertainly to itself, looking around to see if there are any clues to what’s going on besides the smoke itself.
[01:07:37] <05guri> I’ll be right behind you.
01[01:07:58] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Wait, what? Why are you harassing some elves when things are exploding?
[01:08:09] <05konani> Because they’re clearly in on it.
01[01:08:32] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Oh. Yeah, let’s go talk to them, then!
[01:08:35] <05guri> No conclusion that was jumped to while consuming alcohol ever turned out to be wrong. Just go with it!
[01:08:42] <05konani> Exactly.
02[01:08:47] * Konani takes point!
02[01:09:05] * Konani and heads off to aggressively negotiate with the elves.
01[01:10:35] <10~nativejovian> Ukumi, having apparently finally noticed the smoke through a see of people who are much taller than him, yells at the crowd. [Ukumi] That’s back at the docks! Crewmen to your stations! Everyone else, clear the streets!
01[01:11:21] <10~nativejovian> The elves clearly notice your approach, though they seem rather surprised by it. One of them looks up at Ukumi’s shout, then turns to the rest of the group and nods.
01[01:11:28] <10~nativejovian> They draw steel! Roll initiative!
[01:12:08] <05konani> This? This is why people don’t like elves!
03[01:14:35] * NativeJovian changes topic to ‘Initiative order: Roach, enemies, Konani, Guri’
01[01:16:19] <10~nativejovian> The elves spread out as they ready themselves for combat, about half of them disappearing into the crowd. That leaves four facing the party. They have their backs to the tavern, about 15 feet from you. The rest of the crowd is behind you, so nothing stands between you and your opponents.
01[01:16:59] <10~nativejovian> Roach draws his sword and readies his shield, rushing forward to hack at the nearest foe!
01[01:19:01] <10~nativejovian> Roach’s sword flashes out and cuts his target deeply! The elf looks caught between surprise and anger at the blow
01[01:19:31] <10~nativejovian> He counterattacks, stabbing at Roach with his shortsword!
01[01:24:05] <10~nativejovian> The elf slips his blade underneath Roach’s guard and slides it cleanly through Roach’s armor! The Indestructable Kolahaolu grunts in pain, but holds his ground.
01[01:24:50] <10~nativejovian> Another elf steps up to take a swing at Roach, but he sidesteps the blow cleanly
01[01:25:52] <10~nativejovian> The third goes for Konani, but the blow skitters harmlessly off his armor!
01[01:26:37] <10~nativejovian> The final one goes for Guri and manages to score a hit! 4 damage to the brewmeister.
01[01:27:02] <10~nativejovian> Konani! They’re stabbing your buddies!
[01:27:16] <05guri> Meatshields aren’t what they’re cracked up to be…
01[01:27:37] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Hey, I’m taking more than my fair share!
[01:28:57] <05konani> Uh-huh. Just keep telling yourself that.
02[01:30:24] * Konani is going to summon the power of the lava to hopefully extract revenge for Roach! And mutter a few healing words to make Roach feel better about himself. (Sacred Flame @ Roach’s damaged attacker and Healing Word @ Roach.)
01[01:35:16] <10~nativejovian> Guri is healed for 6 damage, bringing him back to full. The ground underneath the elf Roach hit earlier rumbles menacingly, pushing upward in the shape of a tiny volcano, which erupts at the unfortunate elf! The actual eruption is a bit of an anticlimax, being more of a brief puff of flame than an explosion of furious hellfire.
01[01:35:23] <10~nativejovian> But it’s enough to drop the target!
[01:35:43] <05konani> Nakuamakua smites in mysterious ways.
01[01:35:49] <10~nativejovian> Guri, you’re up! The party faces one enemy each, all at full health.
01[01:38:14] <10~nativejovian> Guri fires a colorful sphere at an elf! The elf ducks out of the way. Nimble little shits, elves.
01[01:39:21] <10~nativejovian> Round two! Back to the top of the order! Roach is up again!
01[01:40:30] <10~nativejovian> Roach batters through the defenses of the remaining elf facing him and scores a solid blow!
01[01:40:37] <10~nativejovian> Elves are up again!
01[01:42:39] <10~nativejovian> The three elves each attack their target! Roach catches his foe’s sword on his shield, but both Guri and Konani are hit. 4 damage to Guri, 6 to Konani
01[01:43:05] <10~nativejovian> Konani’s up again! Make them pay for daring to strike you!
02[01:43:13] * Guri drops unconscious
01[01:44:23] <10~nativejovian> Guri’s at 1! The DM has to look up what that means.
[01:44:35] <05konani> Honestly, do I have to do everything around here? Yeesh…
[01:44:37] <05guri> 0. It means I start making con saves.
[01:44:58] <05guri> When I succeed or fail at 3 Guri is either dead or stable.
02[01:45:50] * Konani takes a step away from the guys trying to cave in his face and makes with more healing! Both of himself and Guri. The invocation of so much of Nakuamakua’s mojo should produce the audible effect of ukulele music.
01[01:46:44] <10~nativejovian> Konani restores 4 damage to himself, and 5 to Guri! Guri is back on his feet, but only figuratively. He’s actually prone.
01[01:47:23] <10~nativejovian> Guri, everything go dark for a second, then you were on the ground. But you’re not even in a bar! What do?
02[01:49:22] * Guri stands up and steps out of range of his opponent, before casting another spell at him
02[01:50:40] * Guri sighs as the elf continues to be dodgey.
[01:52:23] <05guri> Now we see how Roach survives -
he lets his squishy teammates get killed.
01[01:52:38] <10~nativejovian> The elf takes a swing at Guri as he backpedals, and hits for 3 damage! This throws off Guri’s timing and sends his attack off-target. Damn you, elf!
01[01:52:51] <10~nativejovian> Round 3! Back to Roach!
01[01:53:17] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Sorry! Hold on a sec!
01[02:00:45] <10~nativejovian> Roach steps away from the guy going after him, blocking the guy’s parting swing, and rushes to Guri’s aid! He tries to shank the elf attacking Guri, but the elf snakes out of the way. Roach follows up with a shield bash to knock the elf off balance, but the nimble little bastard manages to stay on his feet. Damnit!
01[02:03:20] <10~nativejovian> The elves attack again, sticking to the one-per-target strategy! The ones attacking Roach and Guri miss, but the one on Konani tags him for 2 damage — despite Roach’s efforts to block the attack on Konani’s behalf
01[02:03:30] <10~nativejovian> Konani! He stabbed you AGAIN! What a jerk!
02[02:06:28] * Konani summons forth the power of Lava, Love, and the Lavishly Ludicrous to perhaps end this! (Burning Hands @ Enemy Conga Line)
01[02:09:28] <10~nativejovian> Konani’s burning hand tells him to defeat them! The elf attacking Roach drops, while the other two are badly burnt. The smoke from their hair now matches Roach’s.
01[02:09:43] <10~nativejovian> Guri! Finish them!
02[02:13:08] * Guri tries a frost spell, but it fizzles out against the remaining heat of Konani’s fire spell
01[02:13:58] <10~nativejovian> Round 4! Roach is up again!
01[02:14:06] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] Don’t worry, I got this!
01[02:14:58] <10~nativejovian> Roach takes a mighty swing and fells the nefarious elf threatening Guri!
01[02:15:33] <10~nativejovian> The remaining elf decides that he’s had enough and disengages. He’s making a run for it!
01[02:15:50] <10~nativejovian> Konani, you may pursue or shoot him in the back, if you so desire!
02[02:17:50] * Konani attempts to summon up another mini-volcano for more mysterious-ways smiting! (Sacred Flame @ Fleeing Elf)
01[02:20:33] <10~nativejovian> The runner goes up like a torch! And then goes down like a corpse. Because he is one, now.
01[02:20:40] <10~nativejovian> Victory fanfare!
[02:20:54] <05guri> Hurrah!
[02:21:09] <05konani> Let the record reflect that, per Nakuamakua’s precepts that ass-kicking equals authority, I am so totally in charge after that.
[02:21:57] <05guri> No contest.
[02:23:22] <05konani> Best search ‘em and see if there’s anything there that might shed some light on what the heck’s going on. And then get to harbor, as they might need our awesomeness there, too.
[02:23:39] <05guri> All the handy notes they had are probably burned.
[02:24:14] <05konani> Well, it was either that or let you get stabbed in the kidneys again. I’ll make a notation you’d prefer the latter next time.
01[02:24:16] <10~nativejovian> Behind you, the crowd is busy running the hell away from the rest of the elves that circled around you. As the street clears, the only ones left are the B-Team and four elf corpses. It seems like each of the team got a kill; Kahalei with a pair of daggers, Kihaka with a longbow, Meaula with a greatsword, and Ukumi with some sort of ice spell.
[02:25:12] <05konani> Are we keeping score now? Because I’m at 3, which puts me firmly in the lead.
01[02:25:44] <10~nativejovian> [Kihaka] You three are alright?
01[02:26:23] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] I’m fine, what else would I be?
[02:26:41] <05konani> Bleeding profusely without the assistance of someone here. Cough, cough.
01[02:28:26] <10~nativejovian> [Kihaka] My apologies, friend.
01[02:28:42] <10~nativejovian> He steps up and hits Konani with 9 points of healing.
[02:29:16] <05guri> Well. Let’s search them for loose change so we can get drunk on their money.
[02:29:25] <05konani> A good idea, that.
01[02:30:06] <10~nativejovian> [Uzumi] Nonsense! We must go to the harbor at once! Whoever these infiltrators are, we cannot let their plans succeed!
[02:31:27] <05guri> If you say so. But given that the Arkhorse has already exploded, I think the time to stop them from succeeding has passed.
[02:31:31] <05konani> And it’d help to know who these infiltrators are, so we can discern just what their plans are beyond causing explosions and dying horribly. Hence why we’re picking through their pockets.
02[02:31:38] * Konani makes with the rummaging, at that!
01[02:31:57] <10~nativejovian> [Meaula] Who cares who they are?! We just have to find them and kill ‘em all!
02[02:33:04] * Guri helps out with the rummaging.
[02:33:50] <05konani> I care, for starters!
01[02:34:43] <10~nativejovian> Konami and Guri rifle through the pockets of corpses! Each of the dead elves is dressed differently, but their equipment is suspiciously standardized. One short sword, one dagger, and a chain shirt, all of the same unfamiliar style.
02[02:35:35] * Guri pockets a pair of daggers, because that’s cheaper than buying his own
01[02:35:52] <10~nativejovian> The coinage you find is a mix of the local currency and a type you’re unfamiliar with, though oddly enough it seems to be the same weight as what you’re used to, so it should spend just fine. You’ll probably get some odd looks, though.
02[02:35:56] * Guri (BKLapTop@Nightstar-g99.mv7.131.216.IP) Quit (Connection closed)
03[02:36:05] * Blacktop (BKLapTop@Nightstar-6b0.mv7.131.216.IP) has joined #Valhalla
09[02:36:05] * Blacktop is now known as BlackKnight
09[02:36:05] * BlackKnight is now known as Blacktop
01[02:36:18] <10~nativejovian> The coinage you find is a mix of the local currency and a type you’re unfamiliar with, though oddly enough it seems to be the same weight as what you’re used to, so it should spend just fine. You’ll probably get some odd looks, though. [repost for BK]
02[02:37:20] * Blacktop pockets a pair of daggers, because that’s cheaper than buying his own, as well as the currency. It can be melted down, if nothing else.
02[02:37:40] * Konani pockets one of the chain shirts for Roach, as he clearly needs it, and the coins he beats Guri to.
01[02:38:17] <10~nativejovian> [Kahalei] I’m with Ukumi, we should head to the Whiteangel. They’ll need help fighting the fire, if nothing else. And they could be under attack.
[02:39:12] <05konani> Fire is to embraced, not fought! But, uh, yeah. Probably need to get there.
[02:39:15] <05blacktop> Right, right, let’s go see our burning ship!
[02:39:29] <05konani> Though I still think these guys are spelljammers from another world.
[02:39:56] <05blacktop> I think they’re dead.
[02:40:19] <05konani> Fine. *Were
spelljammers from another world. Happy?
01[02:40:36] <10~nativejovian> [Roach] I guess they… could be? I mean, we don’t even know if there are any other spelljamming worlds. And why would they come here if there were?
[02:41:14] <05blacktop> To keep us from finding them, obviously.
[02:41:15] <05konani> Try to subdue one before I need to burn his face off and we might be able to find out!
[02:41:41] <05blacktop> Why else would our big spelljamming ship be on fire and these guys jump us?
[02:43:34] <05konani> Pretty much! It’s also a matter of simple logic: Nobody saw them come in here and there’s only one (conventional) entrance. QED they infiltrated from the spaceward side!
01[02:43:52] <10~nativejovian> The party has apparently arrived on Kaonakala just in time for a crisis situation, and defeated an unexpected foe! Now all they need to do is make sure their whole reason for being invited here hasn’t gone up in flames. Damned dirty space elves! What have we ever done to you?
01[02:44:06] <10~nativejovian> [/session]

Session 001

Spelljammer Custom NativeJovian NativeJovian